Offsite backup is the use of cloud-based storage systems for data recovery in case of a power failure, fire, tornado, earthquake, flood, or other disaster. As an LA-based company, we may fear the impact our businesses will take in the event of an earthquakes the most. But, did you know that offsite backup protects you from human error, too? Data stored offsite usually involves accessing information using an Internet connection. It also typically requires secure authentication before access is granted, and it reduces the need for large external hard drives.
Why have offsite backup?
Physical disasters and human error remain the primary reasons for having offsite backups. For instance, you need an extra copy of your data in case your office floods and external drives become soaked with water. The same is true if a fire fries your server equipment or if your computer hard drives fail during a power outage. However, recovery after physical disasters is not the only reason why you should have offsite backups.
You also will want backups for these reasons:
- To retrieve lost data after a security breach – Unlike the use of onsite backup, an offsite backup solution can prevent you from permanently losing important information after a security breach and negate the need to pay a ransom in a ransomware attack.
- An extra copy for extra peace of mind – It gives you one more copy of your data in addition to the physical storage that is more easily destroyed.
- To use up less onsite space – Your place of business only has so much physical room onsite. Therefore, storing backups offsite will give you more space at your workplace.
- To take advantage of unlimited storage room – The right cloud backup solutions will provide you room for your data to grow. You usually do not have to worry about running out of space for your important information, making scalability a built-in feature with your offsite backup solution.
- To prevent from neglecting to back up your data – No longer do you have to remember to back up your data. If you set your information to be saved automatically, it will help you have a backup even if you forget to save your files.
We especially recommend using an automated backup system, preferably with a trusted partner who specializes in offsite data backup. This will be what provides you the most benefit when it comes time to recover important data. Because in our experience, it isn’t “if” you need to recover your files. It’s “when.”
If you have questions about how to effectively back up your data offsite, please contact Monster Technology today. We can set you up with a secure offsite backup solution that fits your company’s needs and budget.